"Competition of the Week" story # 12
POETRY CONTEST RESULTS, AND MICHIGAN RESULTS
MODERN ODDYSEUS´ GUIDE TO ALWAYS WINNING # 8 - When times are desperate and no one´s looking, rip off an idea from a classic legend - like Edgar Allen Poe.
All right. This one´s going to be a little biased. I am, after all, a Michigander. The Top 5 Best Things About Michigan!:
1. MY FAMILY
3. BONO´S PIZZA - This restaurant is the world´s finest establishment, far and away. In my opinion. It´s in Grand Rapids, at 1418 Plainfield or somewhere near Leonard St. The toasted ham-and-cheese subs are great. The gargantuan serving of soft breadsticks and sugary, runny sauce are to kill for. The big, amply-topped pizzas are always the best meal I´ve ever had. Oh, mmmm! Sometimes, I miss this place more than my family.
4. THE GREAT LAKES - North Bar Lake, a deep dune-threatened lake a stone´s throw from Great Lake Michigan, is my second-favorite place in the world (after Ft. Desoto Beach, Florida). Lake Michigan is full of soft sand beaches, large dunes, quiet islands, and walks though coastal forest. The lake spreads bluely to the horizon, but the water is fresh. In the hot summer, it provides a cold dip. In the winter, you can walk out on the ice a good ways and look at the small icebergs floating for acres. And, Michigan has three Great Lakes more.
5. CHILDHOOD SUMMERS - There´s nothing like being free from school for the summer and having warmth and daylight until ten at night. You can only imagine the running around, sports, bike-riding, park-adventuring, pool-swimming, ball-tagging, toy-playing, cook-outs, and beach trips I did with Brandon, my best friend Chris, Chris´s sister, my neighbor, and my mom and dad, grandparents, cousins, and aunts and uncles.
HONORABLE MENTION includes GETTING WARM IN WINTER (hot chocolate, fireplaces, flannel sheets in a many-covered bed, and laying with my mom beneath an afghan blanket and comforter with a good movie); PLAYING IN WINTER (snowball fights, sledding, skiing, chasing around the happy dog); MIDWESTERN VALUES, which are friendly, faithful, hardworking, and old-fashioned; and, IT´S MY HOME!
Here, brace yourself. The bad´s coming at you now. Here´s ... The Top 5 Worst Things About Michigan!
1. WINTER - Winter has some good points. But, they´re few. Christmas with snow, for example, is beautiful.
2. NOTHING NEW - My city, Grand Rapids, has been growing like crazy. But, rarely does anything interesting ever sprout. We have some sports teams, a symphony, and some okay rock bars. Only recently have we started to get more than a few discotechs, but they´re all about crappy music and "gettin´ booty."
3. SPREAD-OUT CITIES - Due to the big yards and suburbs Americans prefer, my city is huge for its population in comparison to foreign cities. You rather need to have a car, which I think is what makes winters so bad. Nobody walks anywhere. Nobody gathers on the streets, kids don´t easily play in big groups, and streetside cafes or restaurants exist in rare spots. It´s less of a community.
4. LIFE PLAN - Young people grow up on the path to eventually get trapped in a career or office job. No alternatives to this are presented, and kids aren´t pushed to follow something they love unless they directly know how it´s going to bring them money and security. The eventual career is usually something they don´t love, often something they don´t like, and many times a job that exists mainly to bring a few people money and helps the world, in general, none.
5. ONE WAY OF THINKING - Most people in Michigan were born there, and generation after generation they think the same way about the same things. Michiganders travel rarely. They know their country is the most powerful, so why question what the country believes in?
Well, there you have it. Another MODERN ODDYSEUS´ TOP 5!!! wrapped up and in the books.
- Modern Oddyseus the bard (4-4)
Add´l stats. Onomatopoeias, Alliterations, Metaphors, and Similes:
go to the previous story go to the next story
J. Breen's modern-o.com